Our old CF Commercial that plays on MCTV. Still working on this years.

Friday, March 21, 2008

The Beginning Of It All

I thought I'd introduce myself before I start telling my story. I'm M (apparently) and my husband is Big Chris (apparently). :) We have a 9 month old son named Christopher (after his Daddy), but we like to call him Lil' Chris. He was born with Cystic Fibrosis. That's all you're getting for now. I have to start the story somewhere! I might as well start from the beginning.

In the beginning God made the ......wait a minute, wrong story. Sorry, you'll have to get used to my sense of humor. Okay, well D got most of the story right, but here's how I remember it....

It all started about 3 years ago. I never really heard of Cystic Fibrosis (CF) until my sister-in-law got pregnant. She had the usual blood work done and didn't think anything of it (like D) until she got that phone call. She was a carrier of CF. Like D, I apologize that I was not as supportive when she got the news as I should've been. I guess I just didn't realize what CF was. I just remember feeling bad for them that they had to go through this and I just prayed for them that the baby wouldn't have it. So, her husband got tested, and thankfully he was not a carrier. This meant that the baby could definitely not have CF. Yea!!

I never heard the words Cystic Fibrosis mentioned again, until about a year and a half later when my oldest sister got pregnant with her 3rd child. She got that phone call saying she was a CF carrier. I must apologize to her as well for not being there for her like I should have. Actually, I think she didn't tell me about it until after her husband got tested. Thanks a lot D! Just kidding :) It's hard sometimes, because we live so far from each other. Knowing her, she probably didn't tell me until afterwards, because she wouldn't have wanted me to worry. She's the type of person that always thinks of others before herself, just like how she started this blog to help my son and other people out there who may be in the same situation.

Then started the nagging for me and my husband to get tested......

The Nagging Begins...

M

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Hey M!

So I've just started your story, D's part, and I have a quick question. Do you live in the same state as D? Do you know when your state started testing for carriers? California just started doing new born screens a little over a year ago!!! I don't think they do genetic testing during pregnancy yet, but I'm sure going to find out!