Our old CF Commercial that plays on MCTV. Still working on this years.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

CF Update

On 3/5/08, Lil' Chris went to the CF clinic for his regular check up. They said he was doing great. Weight and height all good. Yea!! They did however change his reflux medicine b/c our insurance would hardly cover the Prevacid capsules anymore. They said the next best thing was Prevacid Solu Tabs. Well, we just now got them after about a month. Luckily we still had some capsules left, so he only went 2 weeks without anything. Yes, we did have a few episodes of spit up/throw up. Sorry, I know that's gross. At least you don't have to be the one to clean it up ; )

They told us to put the tablet into this special syringe they gave us and add water while holding the bottom with your finger so the water doesn't come out. Let it dissolve, then let go with your finger and squirt it in his mouth. Sounds real easy doesn't it? My first thought was, "Sounds like a pain in the butt!" If that's what we had to do, then we were going to do it though.

Anyway, today was the first day we got to try the Prevacid Solu Tabs out. It went pretty much as I expected. Horrible!!
First of all, I had no clue what I was doing, even though they explained it to us.
Second, the stuff doesn't dissolve as fast as you think it would.
Third, I'm not very patient.
Fourth, I don't think it ever would've dissolved, it just turned into little beads in the water.
Fifth, how are you supposed to let go with your finger without it getting all over and put it into his mouth all at the same time? As soon as I took my finger off the top, it started to spray all over! Maybe b/c I shook it a little to get it to dissolve faster ; ) Oh well, better luck next time. We'll figure something out. Maybe tomorrow he'll actually get some in his mouth : )

If anybody has any advice, I'd love to hear it. Especially any tips or tricks ; )
Thanks,
M

2 comments:

Aunt D. said...

Hey Girl! Sounds like a good time! =) Keep on trying though, you'll come up with a good solution that works best for you guys & Lil Chris. Wish I could be there to help out! =( Give him a big kiss from me! D.

Anonymous said...

hi M, here's something to try... I always break the tablet in half (It breaks pretty easy between two fingernails or with a knife). You can put the tablet down in the syringe and put the little plunger back in it also without adding the water. Sometimes I'll push the little plunger down on the tablet to crush it a little. Then put the little pointy end into the water and pull the plunger to fill the syringe with water. The tablet dissolves quite easily and quickly this way. Oh, but it never dissolves to be less than the little beads. So when you are giving it to Lil Chris it's important to keep the syringe pointed down and kind of swirl it around so the little beads keep settling at the bottom, otherwise a lot of the little beads get left in the syringe. But take heart:-) It becomes "old hat". This method doesn't spray all over. AND my kids really like the taste, so it's the easy one:-)

I just had a thought...did they give you a medicine dropper that has the little ballon squeezy thing on the end or does it actually look like a needle syringe (shot) except without the needle? The method I just talked about is with the syringe that looks like a "shot". If you are having to use the ballon thingy....I can imagine your frustration:-) Good Luck. Hopefully they gave you the right kind of syringe....it'll get easier:-)
Hang in there, Susanna